Guest posting is a powerful online marketing strategy that offers numerous benefits for brands looking to expand their reach, connect to industry influencers and boost their visibility and search rankings.
However, the success of your guest blogging efforts relies heavily on how well you reach out to potential websites and communicate effectively. Crafting strong outreach emails that grab the attention of site owners and secure guest post opportunities is crucial.
If you haven’t reached out to website owners before or you’re not getting the best response you would have wished, don’t worry! This blog post will provide you with a helpful guide to crafting effective outreach emails that can help you get more guest post opportunities.
We’ll discuss what you need to know about guest posting, how to find partners, and most importantly, we’ll provide practical tips to help you craft compelling outreach emails that increase your chances of receiving positive responses.
Guest Posting: What is it?
Guest posting (or guest blogging) is the process of creating content and publishing it on other websites. It’s a practice that has been around for quite some time and is highly beneficial to businesses looking to increase their visibility, boost brand awareness, and build relationships with industry influencers.
When you submit content to another website, you become a “guest poster” and your post is called a “guest post.” Guest posts can be written by you, or they may be written by someone else and published on your behalf.
Are Guest Posts Bad for SEO?
Guest blog posts have been a topic of debate in the SEO community, with some questioning their impact on search engine rankings. However, when done correctly, guest posting on high-quality sites can actually help you improve your SEO in more ways than one:
- Expands your content reach: Writing a guest article allows you to tap into your prospects’ existing audience that is interested in your niche. It allows you to gain more exposure and increases the number of visitors that come to your website, which is also considered a ranking signal
- Improves domain authority: Having high-quality content hosted on other websites and featuring guest post links to your website helps increase your website’s domain authority—a key factor that search engines look at when ranking websites.
- Diversifies your link profile: Search engines value a diverse and natural link profile. Guest posting helps your link building strategy by allowing you to diversify your backlink profile by acquiring links from different sources. This diversity signals to search engines that your website is credible and trustworthy, improving your chances of ranking higher in search results.
With more than half of bloggers actively writing 1-5 guest posts a month, there’s no doubt how alive and breathing this strategy is. But writing guest posts can be beneficial for SEO, it’s important to note that the quality of the guest post and the relevance of the website are crucial factors. This is where the division is coming from, as many guest bloggers see ineffective results mainly due to the fact that they have chosen websites with low relevance to their own.
While this might work in previous years, search engines have become comprehensive with the shift being quality and relevance over quantity. Low-quality backlinks from these guest posts or irrelevant and spammy websites can have a negative impact on Google rankings and link building. Therefore, it’s essential to focus on providing high-quality content to reputable websites in your industry.
But how do you find the right websites to submit your guest posts?
How to Find Guest Blogging Opportunities
There are plenty of ways to find guest post opportunities, but we want to emphasize on one thing: RELEVANCE.
Finding the right websites to submit your guest posts can be a tedious task, but it’s essential for maximizing the success of your outreach efforts.
Start by doing keyword research and identifying websites and blogs in your industry that accept guest posts. Look for websites that have a strong online presence, engaged audiences, and a track record of publishing guest posts.
There are essentially 3 ways how you find sites that accept guest posts:
1. Use Google Search Operators
By far the simplest strategy you can focus on. Use the following query “[niche/topic] intext: submit a guest post” to search for guest post prospects in your industry.
For example: if you are writing marketing blogs, you can utilize the query “marketing intext: submit a guest post” to discover websites within the niche that are open to accepting guest post requests.
You can also search based on your niche or topic with this query: “[topic/niche] + Submit a guest post” or “Write for us.”
For example: “Fitness submit a guest post” and you’ll see relevant fitness and health blogs that accept guest posts.
However, it’s important to note that the tactics mentioned above are widely used by marketers in general. To truly stand out, we suggest taking the approach even further by reaching out to bloggers and websites that may not actively advertise themselves for guest posting opportunities. This is where your guest post outreach abilities can truly shine.
2. Pitch your guest post ideas to site owners proactively
Just because these websites are not explicitly advertising for guest posts, it doesn’t mean they won’t consider your offer. Take the initiative to reach out to blog owners or authors directly and inquire about the possibility of contributing a guest post.
When approaching them, make sure to present a mutually beneficial offer. Highlight how your content ideas can bring them increased exposure, organic traffic, and even potential conversions. After all, it’s hard to resist the allure of free content that can provide such benefits.
3. Leverage your industry network and engage with relevant communities
This may take time and a lot of legwork on your end, but when it comes to securing guest posting opportunities, networking really pays off.
Start by reaching out to your professional network, industry colleagues, and connections. They may have connections to websites that accept guest posts or be able to provide valuable recommendations based on their own experiences.
In addition, actively engage with industry-specific social media groups and communities. These platforms often serve as hubs for finding guest post opportunities.
As cliche as it may sound, networking opens you up to doors of valuable opportunities, so don’t underestimate the power of connections and community engagement as it will reward your guest posting campaign over time.
How to craft a killer guest post outreach email
Now that you know who and how to look for guest posting opportunities, it’s time to wear your outreach cap and craft an effective email. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Personalize Your Outreach: Personalization demonstrates your genuine interest and increases the likelihood of a positive response. When reaching out to site owners, it’s crucial to personalize your email.Avoid generic templates and make an effort to address the recipient by name. Show that you’ve taken the time to understand their website and highlight specific articles or topics that resonated with you.
- Craft an Attention-Grabbing Subject Line: To add to the first point, crafting an attention-grabbing yet personalized subject line can leave a lasting impression on your recipients.A compelling subject line should be concise, clear, and pique their curiosity. Avoid using clickbait tactics or deceptive subject lines that may harm your reputation. Instead, focus on delivering value and highlighting the benefits of your guest post.
- Keep Your Email Concise and Engaging: When crafting your outreach email, remember that site owners, even those who are not actively looking for guest posts, receive numerous requests daily.To stand out from the crowd, keep your email concise and engaging. Start with a friendly greeting and introduce yourself briefly. Mention why you admire their website and explain how your guest post can provide value to their audience. Highlight your expertise and previous guest posts, if applicable, to establish credibility.
- Provide Unique Guest Post Ideas: One of the best ways to capture a site owner’s attention is by offering unique and valuable guest post ideas.Show that you’ve done your research on their content and propose topics that haven’t been covered extensively. Tailor your ideas to their audience’s interests and provide a brief outline or bullet points to demonstrate your expertise.
- Showcase Your Writing Samples: To build trust and demonstrate your writing ability, include a link to your writing samples or previous guest posts. This allows the site owner to gauge the quality of your content and ensures that you’re a reliable contributor.If you don’t have any published guest posts yet, consider writing a high-quality blog post on your own website and include it as a sample.
- Follow Guest Post Guidelines: Many websites have specific guidelines for guest contributors. It’s crucial to familiarize yourself with these guidelines before crafting your outreach email.Adhering to the guidelines shows your professionalism and respect for the website owner’s preferences. Pay attention to word count, formatting, and any specific instructions mentioned in the guidelines.
- Follow Up Politey: Sometimes, your initial outreach email may get lost in the recipient’s busy inbox. If you don’t receive a response within a reasonable timeframe, it’s appropriate to send a polite follow-up email as a reminder.Keep the follow-up email concise and friendly, reiterating your interest in contributing a guest post. However, be mindful not to come across as pushy or desperate.
- Express Gratitude with Non-Monetary Rewards: When a site owner accepts your guest post, express your gratitude for the opportunity. Acknowledge the value they provide to their audience and assure them that you’ll deliver high-quality content.Additionally, consider offering non-monetary rewards such as social media promotion, internal links within your guest post, or reciprocal guest posting on your own blog. These gestures show your willingness to collaborate and build a mutually beneficial relationship.
- Track and Measure Your Results: Once your guest post is published, it’s essential to track its performance and measure the results.Monitor referral traffic, social media performance, and engagement metrics to gauge the effectiveness of your guest posting efforts. Use this data to refine your guest blogging strategy and identify new guest post opportunities in the future.
With all of that said, let us show you a concrete example of how would we reach out to site owners and gain positive responses by following the pointers above:
Email 1: For site owners actively looking for guest contributors
Subject line: Guest Post Inquiry – Offering Valuable Content for [Website Name]
Dear [Recipient’s First Name],
I hope this email finds you well. I recently came across your impressive website, [Website Name], and I was truly inspired by the valuable content you provide to your engaged audience. As an enthusiast in [relevant niche], I have been particularly impressed by [specific articles or topics that resonated with you].
I am reaching out today to inquire about the possibility of contributing a guest post to your esteemed platform. I firmly believe that my expertise in [your niche] can provide great value to your readers. I have a passion for creating well-researched and informative content that engages and educates audiences.
Here are a few guest post ideas that I believe would be a perfect fit for [Website Name]:
- Topic Idea 1: [Brief description or outline of the topic]
- Topic Idea 2: [Brief description or outline of the topic]
- Topic Idea 3: [Brief description or outline of the topic]
I have taken the time to review your guest post guidelines and I am confident that my writing style and content approach align well with your requirements. To give you an idea of my writing ability, please find a link to my previous guest posts [include a link to your writing samples or previous guest posts].
I understand the importance of adhering to guidelines and delivering high-quality content. If there are any specific instructions or preferences you have for future guest posts or contributors, please let me know, and I will ensure that they are followed diligently.
Thank you for considering this opportunity. I am genuinely excited about the prospect of contributing to [Website Name] and providing valuable content to your audience. I look forward to your response and the possibility of collaborating with you.
[Your Name] [Your Website/Business] [Email Address] [Phone Number] (optional)
Why is this a good guest post pitch?:
- Personalization: It showcases personalization by addressing the recipient by name and referencing specific articles from their website.
- Attention-grabbing: The subject line is concise and tailored to grab attention.
- Tone and structure: It maintains a concise and engaging tone, introducing the sender’s expertise and proposing unique guest post ideas.
- Competence: The inclusion of a link to writing samples or previous guest posts demonstrates credibility.
- Commitment and Professionalism: Most importantly, the email acknowledges the importance of adhering to guest post guidelines.
Email 2: Pitching ideas to relevant websites not actively advertising guest posting opportunities
Subject line: Guest Post Collaboration Proposal – Valuable Content for [Website Name]
Dear [Recipient’s Name],
I hope this email finds you well. I recently discovered your insightful website, [Website Name], and was genuinely impressed by the wealth of knowledge you share with your audience. As an industry professional in [your niche], I have been following your work with great interest.
I am reaching out today with a unique guest post proposal that I believe will provide immense value to your readers. Although I understand that [Website Name] may not actively advertise guest posting opportunities, I am confident that my expertise can contribute to the enrichment of your platform.
Having worked in [your niche] for several years, I have gained extensive knowledge and insights that I am eager to share. Here is an outline of the proposed guest post topic:
Title: [Proposed Title] Description: [Brief description or outline of the topic, highlighting the value it offers to the audience]
Key points to cover:
- Point 1
- Point 2
- Point 3
I have conducted thorough research on [Website Name] and its audience, and I am confident that this topic aligns perfectly with their interests. By providing actionable tips and expert advice, I believe this guest post will resonate well with your readers.
To give you a glimpse of my writing style and expertise, please find a link to my previous guest posts [include a link to your writing samples or previous guest posts]. I take pride in delivering high-quality content that engages and informs audiences.
If there are any specific guidelines or preferences you have for guest contributors, please let me know, and I will tailor my own blog content accordingly. I am committed to providing valuable and well-crafted content that aligns with your website’s standards.
Thank you for considering my proposal. I am excited about the opportunity to collaborate with [Website Name] and contribute to your platform’s growth. I look forward to your response and the possibility of working together.
Warm regards,[Your Name] [Your Website/Business] [Email Address]
Why is this a good guest post pitch?
- Personalization: This email demonstrates personalization by addressing the recipient by name and acknowledging their work.
- Subject line: The subject line is crafted to be attention-grabbing and personalized.
- Tone and structure: It maintains a concise and engaging tone, introducing the sender, proposing a unique guest post idea, and emphasizing its value to the recipient’s audience.
- Competence: The inclusion of a link to writing samples or previous guest posts adds credibility.
- Professionalism: The email expresses willingness to adhere to guidelines and preferences regardless if there’s an existing guideline or not.
Crafting Outreach Emails to Success: Focusing on what you bring to their table
Guest posting offers marketers a powerful strategy to expand their reach, build high-quality backlinks, and establish authority in their industry. However, to maximize the benefits of guest posting, learning how to craft effective outreach emails is crucial.
By focusing on providing value to potential partners, nurturing relationships with website owners, and crafting outreach emails that convey this value, you can secure valuable guest post opportunities. Each outreach email should emphasize what you bring to the table and how it aligns with your audience and goals.
Master the art of crafting compelling outreach emails and you can unlock the full potential of guest posting for your marketing success. So, start refining your approach, building those connections, and watch your guest post opportunities and brand visibility soar!